Trump’s Speech on January 6th.

Homepage Forums Current Events Board Trump’s Speech on January 6th.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

Most of it was rambling complaints about the vote, the media, tech, and weak Republicans. Here’s what he said about going to the Capitol, from Rev.com:

“Republicans are constantly fighting like a boxer with his hands tied behind his back. It’s like a boxer, and we want to be so nice. We want to be so respectful of everybody, including bad people. We’re going to have to fight much harder and Mike Pence is going to have to come through for us. If he doesn’t, that will be a sad day for our country because you’re sworn to uphold our constitution. Now it is up to Congress to confront this egregious assault on our democracy. After this, we’re going to walk down and I’ll be there with you. We’re going to walk down. We’re going to walk down any one you want, but I think right here. We’re going walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators, and congressmen and women. We’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong.

We have come to demand that Congress do the right thing and only count the electors who have been lawfully slated, lawfully slated. I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard. Today we will see whether Republicans stand strong for integrity of our elections, but whether or not they stand strong for our country, our country. Our country has been under siege for a long time, far longer than this four-year period. We’ve set it on a much straighter course, a much … I thought four more years. I thought it would be easy.

. . .

So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we’re going to the Capitol and we’re going to try and give… The Democrats are hopeless. They’re never voting for anything, not even one vote. But we’re going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.

So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you all for being here, this is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you.”

How did this incite and instigate an insurrection? Seems pretty tame to me. Help me understand what I’m missing.

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

I had to dig to find the transcript, too, because I had heard he incited a riot.  It’s subtle, and I get that a suggestion is all it takes, but I don’t think the words themselves amount to inciting a riot. It also made my eyes bleed to read the way the guy talks.  ugh.

I actually think the LACK of coverage of what the president actually said is very telling.  I never saw the speech.  I never have actually seen coverage of him actually “inciting.”  I have only seen commentary on it.

Now, that doesn’t absolve him of not immediately leading people toward peaceful assembly.  Then again, mostly peaceful protests have been happening all hear.

I also note something strange.  Despite the really awful violence in the Capitol which I wholeheartedly disavow, it’s amazing how little damage was done by a “riot.”  I mean, a riot at your local Wendy’s burns the thing to the ground.  A riot in the galleries at the Capitol doesn’t even touch a painting on the wall.  What gives?

Is it possible that a bunch of people strolled into the Capitol as a protest, and that a few people got unruly and violent when challenged?  That’s not a riot.  That’s not an insurrection. It’s criminal trespass, for sure. It’s certainly not polite.

They didn’t even bring fireworks.

Until I know differently, though, it was a riot.

Participant

Saw a video clip of protestors cleaning up when one of them knocked over a trash can.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 17 hours ago by AvatarBeeg_Dawg.
      Participant

Speaking of clips here’s an interesting one.

Participant

This is a thread from the NY Times which provides a timeline of January 6.  These are the same people who put together the Kyle Rittenhouse timeline that shows it was self-defense, showing that someone is able to do actual investigative journalism at the NY Times and present the facts without judgment.

This comports with my view that the President’s speech does not constitute “fighting words,” let alone incitement.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.