Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Homepage Forums Current Events Board Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

johnnyo53johnnyo53
      Participant

That fat bastard never got past the dressing or the pumpkin pie.  Happy Thanksgiving and Happy 67th to me on Sunday.  Can’t believe I’m as old as you bastards…

“I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I

Participant

You’re older than me, Gramps. I’m 60…the springiest of spring chickens…now get off my lawn…

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

Happy Thanksgiving!

cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

Belated Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Glad we do have this site, even if it’s just for a few enthusiasts.

New t-day recipe. Roasted turnips and carrots. My 16 year old vegetarian absolutely loved them. We’re in the sticks back East, and a neighbor noted that fresh turnips are in. Never ate one, let alone cooked one in my life. . .. Gotta admit, they were indeed very tasty! Rutabagas next year. . . .

rjnwmillrjnwmill
      Participant

I’m thankful there are a handful of people that bring content and humor to our community.

All the best to you and yours.

Here's a toast with one last pour, may it last forever and a minute more;
      Good fortune seems to you have sung, to live and love way past long

Participant

Belated Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Glad we do have this site, even if it’s just for a few enthusiasts. New t-day recipe. Roasted turnips and carrots. My 16 year old vegetarian absolutely loved them. We’re in the sticks back East, and a neighbor noted that fresh turnips are in. Never ate one, let alone cooked one in my life. . .. Gotta admit, they were indeed very tasty! Rutabagas next year. . . .

One of the things I’m most thankful for in my life is that I married a gourmet chef, and she’s in a family of great cooks…and they’re competitive.

Our Thanksgiving starts on Wednesday with a regional dinner (Mexican this year), just the adults, at a local club. Thanksgiving day, every one of these great cooks takes two dishes and puts their own spin on it. Friday morning, a brunch, and each cook creates a brunch dish. There are no leftovers…

Participant

Belated Happy Thanksgiving as well.

Pretty good way to celebrate Thanksgiving Mick.    How many people were involved over 3 days?

Participant

Belated Happy Thanksgiving as well. Pretty good way to celebrate Thanksgiving Mick. How many people were involved over 3 days?

Seventeen regulars, seven of whom were cooking. The rest were kids, grandparents or dishwashers (my category).

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by AvatarMick.
      cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

Nice Mick! Can you pass on any vegetarian/pescatarian recipes? Always trying to find dishes for my daughter.

Participant

The sad thing is that Mrs. Mick detests seafood, she doesn’t even want to see me eat it at a restaurant. So I don’t really have any seafood dishes from Mrs. Mick.

That said, however…my son lost a bet in which he had to eat a pescetarian diet for three weeks. He divided his meals into three: salmon/non-salmon/sushi.

I won’t opine on sushi, it’s too personal of a taste. But here was his favorite salmon dish, which was rosemary salmon with orange. Super easy:

Ingredients

• 1 garlic cloves
      • 1 or 2 small rosemary sprigs chopped or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
      • 1 or 2 6oz salmon filets
      • Dash of sea salt and black pepper
      • 1 tbsp Orange peel or grated Orange zest
      • Balsamic glaze
      • Olive Oil for cooking

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425°. Next chop garlic and rosemary and mix together with orange zest.
      2. Place salmon in foil or oiled baking dish. Drizzle each filet with olive oil and sprinkle with the rest of your herbs/seasoning. Including the salt and pepper. You can also drizzle a little balsamic glaze over each filet if you’d like.
      3. Place baking dish in oven for about 10-12 minutes or until the salmon flesh is flaky.
      4. You can also grill this in foil for about 10 minutes Both work!

As for non-salmon, my current flavorite is perch. Best recipe, also easy:

Ingredients

• ½ cup butter, melted
      • ⅔ cup crushed saltine crackers
      • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
      • ½ teaspoon dried basil
      • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
      • ½ teaspoon salt
      • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
      • 1 pound yellow perch fillets

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
      2. Pour butter into a shallow dish. Combine cracker crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, salt, and garlic powder in a separate shallow bowl.
      3. Dip perch fillets into melted butter and press into the seasoned cracker crumbs to coat. Arrange coated fillets on a baking sheet.
      4. Bake in the preheated oven until the coating is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork, 25 to 30 minutes.

Best of success!

cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

Mick,

Thanks! Where in No Cal do you find yellow perch filets? That’s a Northeast (and Michigan) fish. Sounds great, though.

Like the Balsamic glaze on the salmon idea. Gotta give that a shot now that my daughter enjoys balsamic vinegar. . . .

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.