Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
rogpodge
ParticipantNow it’s just an excuse to prevent all law enforcement from doing their jobs. We’ve seen it in MN, CO, and Los Angeles.
rogpodge
ParticipantI lived in Las Vegas for a while. Outside of the Strip, people were generally friendly. Lots of Mormons, midwesterners, and people in hospitality.
There were also a lot of Angelenos on the roads, and people behaving like a–es on the Strip (often drunk). It’s also a money town, and people on a losing streak aren’t the best company.
rogpodge
Participantrogpodge
Participanthttps://x.com/ShadowofEzra/status/1928489466756485602
It’s happening!
rogpodge
ParticipantHuh, it’s almost as if energy prices affect prices for everything (production, transportation, etc.), therefore, getting rid of oil and natural gas was a stupid idea. Oh, and then draining our Strategic Petroleum Reserve for political purposes was also terrible policy. And de-commissioning nuclear power plants was not that smart.
rogpodge
Participanthttps://x.com/DKThomp/status/1927700160337117617
Could this be part of the problem?
rogpodge
ParticipantI’m going to further drift this thread with this article. It’s fascinating how many headline grabbing papers that have drifted into the popular culture have been withdrawn. Case in point: Francesca Gino’s research.
Not to leave Stanford out of this, I think I posted this when discussing Marc Tessier-Lavigne’s data fraud scandal.
rogpodge
ParticipantHuh? I posted an assessment that (everyone’s) endowments may be overvalued that I have not seen before. Seemed like as good a place as any to post it.
I find the economics of academia interesting, and this is probably why universities that seem to have large endowments are still constantly fundraising. There is a hedge fund-ish aspect to endowments (the UC endowments are famously “activist” investors), and their management actually usually outperform hedge funds. In addition, that Harvard is monetizing its endowment as a securities offering (again) is interesting to people in finance. There may be broader implications to the bond issuance, but I also hope their legal department knows what they are doing. Also, one of the Harvard Crimson articles says the bonds are taxable, and the other says tax-exempt. I am not aware of anything in the tax code that says a 501 corporation can issue tax-exempt bonds. Like I said, I hope the legal department knows what they are doing.
On another note, I have always wondered why, say Stanford, doesn’t offer its alumni money management as a service in exchange for a tax-deductible management fee. If endowments are generating better than S&P returns (or comparable returns), why not give alumni access in exchange for a management fee that goes into the endowment? Seems like a win-win.
Not everything is an attack, or political. Don’t try to read minds (“apparently implying”). It’s not a skill you have, and leads to straw man fallacies.
-
This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by
rogpodge.
-
This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by
-
AuthorPosts