A good day for democracy

Homepage Forums Current Events Board A good day for democracy

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
      Participant

Trump looks like a small man today. He is the odd man out while his conservative colleagues strongly condemn what has happened today. I never thought I would see Pence as Presidential, but he is one of the adults in the room, along with McConnell and others. Trump, meanwhile, after fomenting and inciting much of this, not surprisingly has spoken out of both sides of his mouth and said the absolute bare minimum.

Ironically I feel better about our country today than I have in a while. People’s views aren’t going to change and Trump is not going away, but he has been diminished.

Genuine RealistGenuine Realist
      Participant

He crossed a line today, much to my surprise. I thought he had more common sense than in fact he has.

I’m not kidding about the comparison to Aaron Burr.

I wouldn't give you two cents for all your fancy rules if, behind them, they didn't have a little bit of plain, ordinary, everyday kindness - yeah, and a little looking out for the other fella, too.

cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

Yes he has. But interestingly, today has made Pelosi, Biden and Schumer look small as well.

All of the conservative leadership have come out strongly against what happened today. Vociferously. Fox News too.

The riots after Trump won, the riots and occupations in major cities across the country the last four years? Crickets and excuses from Larry Curly and Moe, and their minions in the press.

rjnwmillrjnwmill
      Participant

You failed to comment on the statesman like afternoon address by the President elect.  What did you think of that.  Did he inspire your confidence?  Do you dare to dream?

And between you and me, the self serving self enriching political “pros” have been stoking these fires since long before Trump came on the scene.  To now play the “adults” in the room as their long term good work bears the expected fruit is rich indeed.  Fascinating here though, is only one side of the aisle was outraged by the summer of violence and property destruction.  Laughable, but the outrage only becomes bipartisan when they are attacked where they live.  Welcome to the America you’ve created fools.

I recall Nixon, an intern, endless accusations of racism, inciting confrontations with Trump administration staff, lies to sell policy, dossiers, the Kavanaugh hearings.  Frankly, efforts now to avoid responsibility for what has been done by our “leadership” is repulsive to me.  Not unlike 535 dissembling SF DA Boudins and his paroled felon and the two dead women on the street.

Here's a toast with one last pour, may it last forever and a minute more;
      Good fortune seems to you have sung, to live and love way past long

Participant

[quote quote=4097]You failed to comment on the statesman like afternoon address by the President elect. What did you think of that. Did he inspire your confidence? Do you dare to dream? And between you and me, the self serving self enriching political “pros” have been stoking these fires since long before Trump came on the scene. To now play the “adults” in the room as their long term good work bears the expected fruit is rich indeed. Fascinating here though, is only one side of the aisle was outraged by the summer of violence and property destruction. Laughable, but the outrage only becomes bipartisan when they are attacked where they live. Welcome to the America you’ve created fools. I recall Nixon, an intern, endless accusations of racism, inciting confrontations with Trump administration staff, lies to sell policy, dossiers, the Kavanaugh hearings. Frankly, efforts now to avoid responsibility for what has been done by our “leadership” is repulsive to me. Not unlike 535 dissembling SF DA Boudins and his paroled felon and the two dead women on the street.[/quote]

I have had plenty to say about the earlier nonsense.

But this is about Trump, and inspiring a mob to attack a core Constitutional function. That’s the difference, and a big one. In short, apples and oranges.

So I  will call it sedition and he should stand trial for it. So should the antifa types, for what it’s worth, but that’s not quite the same as attacking the Constitution itself.

I wouldn't give you two cents for all your fancy rules if, behind them, they didn't have a little bit of plain, ordinary, everyday kindness - yeah, and a little looking out for the other fella, too.

rjnwmillrjnwmill
        Participant

But this is about Trump, and inspiring a mob to attack a core Constitutional function. That’s the difference, and a big one. In short, apples and oranges.”

Ahhh, Trump’s disrespect for his political opposition is surely much different and worse than paying for a bs dossier, purposely disseminating said bs across multiple contact points in the branches of government, using said bs to defraud a court to perform illegal domestic surveillance on a political campaign and hamstringing an administration for 2+ years. And a faux impeachment isn’t an attack on “a core constitutional function” of government…during a pandemic.

Got ya Charley, Trump is the worst thing since Beelzebub…go ahead, you give a pass to the political class generally who have done the same for 40+ years.   But realize, their misplaced focus on personal political advantage may explain why our foreign, security and economic policy is totally incoherent.

Perhaps now you can better understand why I’ve consistently suggested it’s in our best interest to burn it down. I don’t see too many virgins on either side of the aisle.

Participant

Oh, cut it out. We’ve always had political scandals, some large, some small. We do our best with them.

But a sitting President who comes up with a non-existent conspiracy theory to inspire a mob to shut down the core Electoral College process?  Off the charts.

And yeah,yeah,they’re all alike, what difference does it make? I’ve got the standard response memorized. Sometime when you were seven, you realized the phrase ‘you’re another’ was an all-purpose rejoinder. It’s served you well since then.

But most of us are older than seven. Trump put himself in a class by himself today. All the adoration you’ve bestowed on your little tin god isn’t going to change the fact.

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

Man, I gotta tell you…Trump not only jumped the shark, he jumped the whole darned ocean.

Not a great man, but we knew that.  now he will go down in history not as the iconoclast I had hoped, but as one who fomented insurrection during the transition of power.

Not good.

rjnwmillrjnwmill
      Participant

Perhaps it’s too early to write the history?

Let’s not forget Obama’s observations, “Don’t underestimate Biden’s ability to fuck things up.”  Time and relative performance adjust perspectives.

cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

[quote quote=4096]Yes he has. But interestingly, today has made Pelosi, Biden and Schumer look small as well. All of the conservative leadership have come out strongly against what happened today. Vociferously. Fox News too. The riots after Trump won, the riots and occupations in major cities across the country the last four years? Crickets and excuses from Larry Curly and Moe, and their minions in the press.[/quote]

Going further, interesting how the press is rightly calling the people involved rioters, yet wouldn’t touch that word during BLM and Antifa events. They were protesters.

Steve Kerr called them terrorists; where was his stinging rebuke during the BLM and Antifa riots? Where was he when the Chinese clamped down of those seeking freedom for Hong Kong? Ironically, the Chinese clamped down hard again over the last few days, but that’s completely lost on the world now.

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

screw steve kerr

Participant

[quote quote=4111]Man, I gotta tell you…Trump not only jumped the shark, he jumped the whole darned ocean. Not a great man, but we knew that. now he will go down in history not as the iconoclast I had hoped, but as one who fomented insurrection during the transition of power. Not good.[/quote]

jusy when I am about to write him off and agree with the establishment, the idiots on the left evoke the  25 th amendment. With 14 days to go, they just can’t help themselves. Why make him relevant again. Let him expire on his own.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.