Mick

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Born in San Jose in 1962, oldest of six in a Brady Bunch like scenario: I have a brother, a sister, a half-sister, a stepbrother and a stepsister.  Three blondes, three brunettes.  Any resemblance to the Brady Bunch ends there.  Parents divorced when I was six.  Attended public schools through sixth grade in very poor areas, moved in with my dad when I was 13, attended Catholic school from seventh grade through college.

Great-granddad left Wisconsin at age 14, traveled to Idaho to join his brother who was a logger.  Got a job as a gofer at an auto dealership that sold both Fords and Buicks under the same roof.  Became GM at age 19, bought out the place from the owner at age 21.  Owned radio stations and auto dealerships in the Northwest, around Spokane.  Didn’t want his son to become a wastrel at U of I, so he applied without his knowing to The Farm.  Hence, Granddad was class of ’42 at Stanford.  Met Grandmother, also at Stanford.  He was a French/Irish Catholic, she was Anglican/Episcopal.  Her dad told him to stay away from Catholics because they fought and drank and swore.  They got married in 1941.  Six months later, on Dec. 8, 1941; Granddad was in his Japanese Economic History class, taught by a Japanese national.  Said prof arrives late, says that he thought Japan was in the right in the dispute over rubber, oil and other things, but that they’d chosen the wrong way to express it.  My dad was born three months later, Granddad joined the Navy and worked at the Pentagon as a computer operator, feeding punchcards into large IBM machines.

Post-war, Granddad opens a cannery in San Jose.  One of his best friends was Tom Seaver’s dad and fellow Stanford alum Charles Seaver (same business, introduced raisins into breakfast cereal).  His oldest, my father, spends a year at Bellarmine, then three years as Bob Berry’s wideout at Willow Glen High, where they were in the process of winning 43 straight games, until they lost to a Bill Walsh-coached Mission San Jose football team.  My great-grandfather, grandfather and my father were Willow Glen residents, and I still live in Willow Glen today.

Dad moved us to Santa Cruz, and I attended a high school formerly named Holy Cross, renamed as Marello.  I graduated in 1980, the school closed down in 1986.  It was two blocks from the lighthouse, Steamer’s Lane and the Red, White and Blue beach, the local cove that served as a nude beach.

I met Mrs. Mick at Santa Clara.  I was from a large Catholic family, no one had ever gone to a Catholic university before.  Many at Stanford, a few at SJSU, Ole Miss, San Francisco State. Dad resented not attending Cal (bad grades) and resented his transition from Bellarmine to Willow Glen, so public education of any stripe was off the table for me.  Anyway, Mrs. Mick and I graduated in 1984, married in 1987.   I started selling for accounting, consulting and law firms and have done that ever since.  Mrs. Mick taught in public schools in Palo Alto Unified until our first son was born in 1991, second son in 1995.  Both attended parochial school in Willow Glen, not because I necessarily liked parochial schools but because our house was redistricted into a miserable public school.  One of the teachers had been the biggest druggie in my high school

Both boys played volleyball at Bellarmine, then played at Princeton.  Older son was MVP of the largest vball tournament in Southern California when he was a junior, then he was recruited by Harvard, Stanford, Princeton and UC San Diego.  UC-SD’s coach promised playing time, but was kind of a jerk.  Stanford said he would be the last guy recruited (it was a bubble year for Stanford, they lost seven guys).  Assistant coach (also doubled as son’s club coach) said he would never get off the bench and would still be expected to invest 40 hours a week in volleyball.  Harvard needed five players, but could only guarantee two middles, my son played outside.  Princeton recruited him as an outside and that was all she wrote.

Older son in private equity in Santa Monica.  Younger son works for AI topographical software startup in the automotive industry.  I worked for accounting firms until Sarbanes Oxley (esp. sec. 404) made my role redundant.  Transitioned to law firms, currently on my fourth law firm.  If you want to reach out privately, I’m at clientsciences@gmail.com.

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

Cool background story.  Sounds like you have a lot to be proud of.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.