Newsom doesn't understand Imperial County

Homepage Forums Current Events Board Newsom doesn't understand Imperial County

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      FratBoySpikeFratBoySpike
      Participant

For those that don’t know, Mexicali at a little over 1.1M has a higher population than Tiajuana and more than 6 times the population of its neighboring California county, Imperial County.  Most of the year, tens of thousands of farmworkers cross the border daily from Mexico to work in the fields of the Imperial Valley.  The US side of the Calexico/Mexicali border crossing hours of operation have been reduced to 6am to 2pm to match the work in the fields, but the border hasn’t closed.  SIP and various other orders from Sacramento don’t apply in Mexicali and I would be willing to bet State and County imposed recommendations won’t be implemented by federal Border Patrol or Customs agents.  I remember air pollution problems a number of years ago originating in the industrial maquiladora areas of Mexicali affecting Imperial County air quality, but US regulations don’t mean much to Mexico and wind can be so disobedient! Many of my lifelong friends from Brawley and El Centro are scared, but really have very little control with what is happening at the border.  For the record, a large percentage of hospital visits to El Centro Regional Medical Center and Pioneer’s Memorial Hospital in Brawley are for “indigent” patients, but they are really from Mexicali. Calexico used to have its own City-owned hospital over 20 years ago now, but it went bankrupt from such patients. I was City Engineer for El Centro during that time and El Centro’s City-owned hospital was worried that they would be next.  Anyway, pray for Imperial County, if you are so inclined, because I am fairly certain that the good people of that County are just along for the ride.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." - Charles Bukowski

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.