Portland is back in the news.

Homepage Forums Current Events Board Portland is back in the news.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

https://thefederalist.com/2021/01/15/portland-city-council-demands-reparations-from-congress/

$12T.  That figures out to $280,000 for every AA in America, according to the last census.

So help me out.  The sins of slavery are disgusting, vile and can’t be erased by the passage of  time, but a cash payment makes all that injustice go away? Does the BLM cease to exist when reparations are paid?  What about diversity quotas?  What about all the social programs established since 1965 that offer preferences or financial aid for AA?  Would that mean progressives would no longer be able to play the race card?

Maybe it WOULD be worth $12T

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by AvatarBeeg_Dawg.
      • This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by AvatarBeeg_Dawg.
      Participant

So let me get this straight.

Sheila Jackson Lee wants people who never had slaves to pay a huge amount of money to people who never were slaves.

F that…

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

I think that instead of reparations we should invest in massive government bureaucracies focused on helping those most impacted by slavery and its legacy by offering them different types of direct and indirect aid.  The aid will have strings attached and will be hard to say no to, but hey, it will be aid. We should also set aside entire government spending programs for such folks, and then maybe mandate that they be hired disproportionately into government jobs because they have been hurt by the legacy of slavery.  We can give them land, perhaps livestock.

After we do all that, we can eliminate discrimination based on standardized tests, or in lending based on the quality of neighborhoods.  Let’s make all that illegal.

Once we have done all this, we can wonder whether the damage wrought by our solutions (it will result in a sub population that is On average less educated, far poorer, and far more likely to be caught for criminal activity than was the case before our “solutions” go into effect) is simply the legacy of slavery writ large, or the result of really bad policy.

Of course the answer will have to be that it is because of the legacy of slavery, because policy scrutiny requires accountability and anybody who ever advocated for slavery much less owned a slave is long dead and we can blame them with impunity.

All that said (and it has all been done), I’m not opposed to the notion of reparations, I just don’t know that it solves what advocates think it solves. Borrow all that money, hand it out to every black person in America regardless of whether they are the direct descendants of slaves still living in shacks in the low country of South Carolina or newly-minted immigrants from Nigeria, and you will not see the massive social problems go away. Markets don’t work that way.  The cash will flow into the hands of those it’s flowing into now.

The most uncomfortable discussion about black inequality is the discussion that includes the question of why black Americans had more stable families and institutions under the rule of Jim Crow than under the “protection” of equal opportunity policy.  Plumb those depths for some real discomfort. For some reason, values of education, thrift, hard work, and family stability WHICH EXISTED IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY IN SPADES DURING THE EARLY 20th CENTURY—post slavery, have been, on average, deprioritized.

Good commentary on this in the wsj yesterday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-left-hijacked-civil-rights-11610748711

rjnwmillrjnwmill
        Participant

“ For some reason, values of education, thrift, hard work, and family stability WHICH EXISTED IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY IN SPADES DURING THE EARLY 20th CENTURY”

I love your sense of humor Archie…intended or not.  (Can you work the kykes, the spics and the heebs  into a post?)

(This post speaks to my sense of humor? more than yours.)

Here's a toast with one last pour, may it last forever and a minute more;
        Good fortune seems to you have sung, to live and love way past long

LegendLegend
          Keymaster

[quote quote=4195]“ For some reason, values of education, thrift, hard work, and family stability WHICH EXISTED IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY IN SPADES DURING THE EARLY 20th CENTURY” I love your sense of humor Archie…intended or not. (Can you work the kykes, the spics and the heebs into a post?) (This post speaks to my sense of humor? more than yours.)[/quote]

Holy crap.  Unintended.  And, I knew I was treading on thin SJW ice with the post in any event.  To even speak of such things is to put one’s self at risk of being called a racist.

Participant

At least it would bring back the lives of all the Union soldiers and all the money spent to eliminate slavery.  Or do white folks get reparations from those losses?

Just kidding.  I know white folks would never get reparations.  And it’s never reported, somehow, that on a per capita basis, African Americans are ten times as likely to kill a white person as a white person is to kill a black person (FBI’s own statistics).

Participant

[quote quote=4194]I think that instead of reparations we should invest in massive government bureaucracies focused on helping those most impacted by slavery and its legacy by offering them different types of direct and indirect aid. The aid will have strings attached and will be hard to say no to, but hey, it will be aid. We should also set aside entire government spending programs for such folks, and then maybe mandate that they be hired disproportionately into government jobs because they have been hurt by the legacy of slavery. We can give them land, perhaps livestock. After we do all that, we can eliminate discrimination based on standardized tests, or in lending based on the quality of neighborhoods. Let’s make all that illegal. Once we have done all this, we can wonder whether the damage wrought by our solutions (it will result in a sub population that is On average less educated, far poorer, and far more likely to be caught for criminal activity than was the case before our “solutions” go into effect) is simply the legacy of slavery writ large, or the result of really bad policy. Of course the answer will have to be that it is because of the legacy of slavery, because policy scrutiny requires accountability and anybody who ever advocated for slavery much less owned a slave is long dead and we can blame them with impunity. All that said (and it has all been done), I’m not opposed to the notion of reparations, I just don’t know that it solves what advocates think it solves. Borrow all that money, hand it out to every black person in America regardless of whether they are the direct descendants of slaves still living in shacks in the low country of South Carolina or newly-minted immigrants from Nigeria, and you will not see the massive social problems go away. Markets don’t work that way. The cash will flow into the hands of those it’s flowing into now. The most uncomfortable discussion about black inequality is the discussion that includes the question of why black Americans had more stable families and institutions under the rule of Jim Crow than under the “protection” of equal opportunity policy. Plumb those depths for some real discomfort. For some reason, values of education, thrift, hard work, and family stability WHICH EXISTED IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY IN SPADES DURING THE EARLY 20th CENTURY—post slavery, have been, on average, deprioritized. Good commentary on this in the wsj yesterday. https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-left-hijacked-civil-rights-11610748711[/quote]

haven’t we done most of the above under affirmative action?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.