Olympics

Homepage Forums Current Events Board Olympics

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      LegendLegend
      Keymaster

Pretty entertaining so far.  I do enjoy beach volleyball.  Best olympic sport ever.

Participant

[quote quote=4977]Pretty entertaining so far. I do enjoy beach volleyball. Best olympic sport ever.[/quote]

WOMENS’s beach volleyball.

Fixed that for ya’.

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

I keep my misogyny mysterious.

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

Simone Biles drops from the team competition due to stress.

It will all be explained away, but somewhere Kerri Strugg should be rolling her eyes.

Participant

A lot of people are saying it’s more than stress (it may be stress-induced, but it’s more than just feeling stressed).  They’re saying Biles experienced aerial disorientation, which would explain her landing and bailing out on the skill on the vault.  Basically, if you can’t orient yourself in the air, you can’t do a bunch of stuff in gymnastics (high bar, uneven bars).  She might be okay on floor exercise, but even those flips would be risky if she’s lost her ability to orient to the ground.

I hope she gets her head right.  Natasha Luskin said Biles was on the way to training to see if she could give it a go for the all-around and individual events.

Participant

“A lot of people are saying it’s more than stress (it may be stress-induced, but it’s more than just feeling stressed).  They’re saying Biles experienced aerial disorientation, which would explain her landing and bailing out on the skill on the vault.  Basically, if you can’t orient yourself in the air, you can’t do a bunch of stuff in gymnastics (high bar, uneven bars).  She might be okay on floor exercise, but even those flips would be risky if she’s lost her ability to orient to the ground.”

It’s actually not uncommon.  There’s even a slang term for it, they call aerial disorientation the “twisties.”

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

She dropped from the all around.

One of the greatest gymnasts of all time gets a case of the yips in the middle of the biggest competition for the sport and withdraws completely. No sarcasm at all: That’s just  fascinating.

Gymnastics isn’t a warrior sport and Biles has certainly earned her position as one of the greatest. The nastiest interpretation is that she realized she couldn’t win and so withdrew to protect her “brand.”  It would be like Ali withdrawing from the foreman fight just before the opening bell. Kinda smudges the “GOAT” label.

Maybe a better example is Tyson biting off Holyfield’s ear to end the fight.  Self sabotage.

Participant
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.