The stimulus and moral hazard.

Homepage Forums Current Events Board The stimulus and moral hazard.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Does the CARES Act create a bad precedent?  Interest on the debt creates interest on the debt. Tax revenues are way down.  Unemployment artificially high.   Is any unforeseen emergency where citizens are damaged going forward worthy of a stimulus payment in the future?  I’ll take the money but I think it’s a really bad idea for the most part.  Get food, medical, and supplies to needy people but don’t give out much cash when there are a lot of jobs available waiting to be had.

Taxpayers are about to get a robust second stimulus check.  Businesses  a second bailout.  Well the banks got them you say, but the banks paid most of it back.

Was the lockdown really worth it or an opportunistic political ploy?

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

Ploy

Participant

Until the economy blows up, which could happen tomorrow , next week, or in ten years, or twenty or thirty, expect easy money to be the policy of the day. Trump did it, the dems will se him and raise it, they will one up him on gifts and the country will blissfully spend itself to whatever… THERE IS A FREE LUNCH.

rjnwmillrjnwmill
      Participant

I’m not much of a fan of deficit spending. But I fear you guys are buying into Republican bs.

These “deficit hawks” are oh so concerned about transfer payments going to high earners who don’t need the money.  Well…the top 5% of household income begins at roughly $166,000. So 95% of the transfer payments go to those earning less. (The 90% threshold is $100,000)

So this program may “miss” on 5% of the total cost?  Who can name another government program that has 5% or less waste?  I can’t.

Orange distinguished himself by his focus and his effectiveness in increasing the share of national income that was available to the broad American middle class. Household incomes increased dramatically. Unemployment reached all time lows. Safety net participation was dramatically reduced.

Why shouldn’t he remain mission focused to his last day?  Keep the economy open for all segments of the economic ladder. I’m pleased he can continue this important work while effectively targeting 90%~95% of the spend.

Now Biden can declare war on those folks with his misguided foreign/trade policy, his misguided immigration policy & his misguided energy policy.

Ps:   Orange suggests good policy is good politics.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by rjnwmillrjnwmill.

Here's a toast with one last pour, may it last forever and a minute more;
      Good fortune seems to you have sung, to live and love way past long

Participant

We live in an extremist country. Let’s enjoy the free lunch for the moment.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by AvatarNeodymium60.
      Participant

I’m assuming this is for staff salaries, not for Congress (they can’t raise their pay without an intervening election).  But there’s a LOT of pork in this bill.

Back in the good ol’ days, the media would have been all over the pork, but today… they won’t report on it, leaving it for people to get outraged on Twitter (and some congressmen and congresswomen to tweet about it).  They’re setting us up to accept “modern monetary theory” and make government such a large part of our economy, that politics will consume our lives.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.