Where are stocks headed?

Homepage Forums Current Events Board Where are stocks headed?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Two 1k drops in a month. Asset bubbles everywhere because of lax monetary policy and a general decoupling of stock prices from fundamentals.

Target Corp. collapsing today because of high shipping costs. Costco potentially next. Tech mini-bubble popping. I’m looking at REITs and some BDCs that fell out of favor once the Fed started raising rates. There’s a lot of worrisome data coming out of the labor markets, even while official unemployment is low.

Participant

Per your previous post,  I’d say Sri Lanka.

(Sri is three in Creole Malay – joke)

Participant

Clever, neo.

8:30 am Initial jobless claims May 14 218,000 200,000 197,000
      8:30 am Continuing jobless claims May 7 1.32 million 1.34 million
      8:30 am Philadelphia Fed manufacturing index May 2.6 15.0 17.6

Not terribly off expectations, although the Biden administration has been touting the low initial jobless claims.  Unfortunately, I don’t think the economy is doing well.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/more-u-s-subprime-borrowers-are-missing-loan-payments-11652964729

As for that last number… “This labor market pain echoes weakness seen in recent survey data – such as ISM Manufacturing and Empire Fed and this morning we saw Philly Fed’s Business Outlook  survey plunge from 17.6 to 2.6 (massively missing expectations of 15.0).”

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.