California population is shrinking

Homepage Forums Current Events Board California population is shrinking

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Supposedly, California’s population reached a peak in July 2020 at 39,029,342 and has been shrinking ever since, down by more than 1/2 million since then.

California’s population keeps shrinking 

New York State is also shrinking. U. S. Population has grown 0.4% since July, 2020. I wonder if these numbers factor into account illegal immigration. Given that California has (by far) the highest population of illegals, I’m guessing that the California population has remained static, rather than shrunk.

A huge population of Nicaraguans are headed our way.

In Record Numbers, an Unexpected Migrant Group Is Fleeing to the U.S. 

Maybe that’s why we’re so happy:

Why are Californians so happy? 

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by AvatarMick.
      • This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by AvatarMick.
      Participant

Surprising (at least to  me) USSC orders Title 42 to remain in place.

Supreme Court orders Title 42 border restrictions to remain in place

The policy has drawn fierce criticism from immigration activists, who say the policy is cruel and inhumane.  Cruel and inhumane?  IMO, it is cruel and inhumane to not discourage potential immigrants from hiking 2000 miles with the hope of entering the US illegally.

Participant

I am definitely interested on if anyone with expertise here can weigh in on if California population is truly shrinking or not given illegal immigration.  When I change my lens to the long-term, it brings up interesting economic questions as birthrates in the US and Mexico are both declining . . . and I”ll assume same for central america (open to be corrected there).   So at some point seems inevitable that things will turn to where population will truly shrink, and immigration pressures will subside.

Participant

Good point.    Every group has a carrying capacity to include ecological, economic and physical.  Parts of the bone dry southwest have reached it already.  Most people there don’t know it yet.

So why isn’t the population declining already?  Immigration pressure partly driven by financial incentives – free stuff.

All seems kind of counter intuitive. If you look around some countries are beginning to figure it out and are slamming the door shut.

Participant

We need to accomodate immigration.  From many parts of the world.  But our national interests should be the filter to determine who is let in.

Participant

[quote quote=6772]We need to accomodate immigration. From many parts of the world. But our national interests should be the filter to determine who is let in.[/quote]

We do,  over 1 Million legal immigrants per year. More than any other country.  This year there will be over 1M hopeful immigrants claiming asylum, when less than 5% will be granted.

Legal immigration laws could stand to have an update, but it won’t matter until officials become interested in upholding laws as they are written.

Participant

California is home to 11 million immigrants, overall. As of 2019, 27% of Californians were born in another country. Foreign born residents are at least 1/3rd of the population in five counties, including Santa Clara (39%), San Mateo (35%), Los Angeles (34%), San Francisco (34%) and Alameda (33%). 53% are naturalized citizens and another 25% have some kind of legal status (green card, etc.).

Interesting charts in this article. Since 2007, Asia was the source of the majority of immigrants to California:

Immigrants in California – Public Policy Institute of California (ppic.org)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.