Majors

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Interesting that biology is on the list. I guess being a doctor isn’t what it used to be. Quite frankly, neither is being a lawyer.

Participant

Doesn’t surprise me, tbh, and not just because Journalism is a dying/nearly dead business. My early connections with journalists weren’t positive, I didn’t have much respect for the profession. My sister, who is one of the most objectionable people I know, worked as a journalist at the local paper, writing a muckraking article. The editor loved it, and essentially wanted her to write all sleaze all the time. Disgusted by the emphasis, she quit in a huff. If my sister thinks you ooze slease, well then…

Seeing Marketing Management/Research on the list surprises me, a little. My undergrad major was Finance. I always knew that I’d end up in Marketing, but as the oldest of six, my father limited my options to Accounting, Finance or Engineering. I had zero affinity for engineering, and I was an Accounting major until Intermediate Accounting (it’s the Great Separator, basically the HumBio of the Accounting world…either you have it or you don’t, and I definitely didn’t have it). Ergo, Finance. My favorite undergrad course was the single Marketing class I took from a mensch of a prof named Moshe Handelsman.

I wish I’d been able to major in MM/R, it would have been very helpful in my career. Oh well. And I really liked the final comment on being a lawyer. My brother was a Poli/Sci major who now practices as a public defender in San Diego. According to the ABA and as of 2020, there are 1.3 million lawyers in the United States. Or as the legal profession likes to comment, just four lawyers for every 1,000 Americans.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarMick.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.