Plug-in cars are the future. The grid isn’t ready.

Homepage Forums Current Events Board Plug-in cars are the future. The grid isn’t ready.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

Headline from a Wapo article. Behind a pay wall, but here’s the first line:

“By 2035, chief automakers will have turned away from the internal combustion engine. It will be up to the electric grid to fuel those new vehicles, but it barely functions today under ordinary stress and fails altogether too often for comfort.”

Who would have thought that?

johnnyo53johnnyo53
      Participant

It’s BS. Practically speaking, you think all boats and rvs will be electric by then? The technology is too heavy and inefficient to be practical in anything but large and expensive vessels. Snowmobiles, Jetskis, etc…? Seriously, who’s thinking the real big picture? Your jonboat in the bayou or duck boat in the delta? Electric? Hell, if the oceans are rising why is Barack on an island and Gore buying Malibu? It’s BS

“I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

It’s a “commons problem” writ large. It’s all fine while a small proportion of wealthy households plug up, but wait until everybody has to.

rjnwmillrjnwmill
      Participant

I’m a simple guy.  There are 150,000 gas stations/convenience stores in the US.  Anyone know what the cost is to mothball this infrastructure?  The cost of environmental remediation of the sites?  The number of jobs lost.

The cost of 100,000+ replacement charging stations?  The cost 140 million home charging units?  Another 5 million that will be required to serve the needs of the underserved living in apartment buildings?

The costs associated with the conversion of the personal & commercial vehicle stocks?

Seems like quite and investment to institutionalize higher energy prices?  So we have significant economic efficiency losses all for green goals?  Global GDP is reduced.  Wages and standards of living are reduced globally.

Perhaps a deadlier CCP virus is the best way to achieve that end…lower population results in less energy consumption, no?

I am so weary of politicians and their calamities du jour.  Their “solutions” are worse than the problems…see the headlines daily.

Here's a toast with one last pour, may it last forever and a minute more;
      Good fortune seems to you have sung, to live and love way past long

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.