What if anything does viewership tell us about 2020?

Homepage Forums Current Events Board What if anything does viewership tell us about 2020?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      rjnwmillrjnwmill
      Participant

Viewership for the DNC is down significantly.

Is this the pandemic driven “infomercial” format?  Is this a first indication of enthusiasm for “sleepy joe”?  Is the adversarial content not resonating?  Will this ratings decline generally carry over to new weeks republican programming?

Who’s watching; who’s not?

Here's a toast with one last pour, may it last forever and a minute more;
      Good fortune seems to you have sung, to live and love way past long

cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

Watching what?

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

I just want to know what they would have campaigned on if not for covid and George Floyd. Would it have been 100 percent Trump?

Trump gets more mentions than any Democrat platform planks.

Participant

[quote quote=2122]I just want to know what they would have campaigned on if not for covid and George Floyd. Would it have been 100 percent Trump? Trump gets more mentions than any Democrat platform planks.[/quote]

Poll numbers I heard yesterday – 59% of dems are not voting for Joe, they are voting against Trump.

Beat Trump is the Democratic platform.

Participant

Until recently I was spending most of my bulletin board time at The Cardboard, but the discussion there has become abusive.  Unless you confess and aver that you will never vote for Trump, your opinions will get short shrift and you will be in for a massive amount of abuse.  I remember Barbara Walters interviewing Gordon Liddy a few years after Nixon’s resignation.  She asked Liddy if he would ever not vote for Nixon in hypothetical election.  I think Walters thought that might be a “gotcha” moment, but Liddy instantly responded, “against whom?”.

Trump makes himself a pretty big target.  Constantly.  No question in my mind that he can be pretty easy to dislike.  And Biden is less overtly offensive.  OK.  Fine.  When did election to the Presidency of the United States necessitate that a person be a great guy?  It is sad that the electorate has been steadily degraded to the point that a fairly large swath of the voters think that this is a giant game of American Idol or the NFL playoffs.  That kind of shallowness is destroying our nation.

Besides, the Republicans tried John McCain and Mitt Romney.  McCain was supposed to be a placator or a capitulator.  He got steamrolled.  Romney was supposed to be an intellect and a genius about all things mercantile.  He was eviscerated.  Donald Trump was unlike those two.  Totally.  In spades.  And it worked.  He won.

I’m pretty sure it is misguided to just look at the similarities with 2016 and assume that it will work out the same way.  It always at least has a wrinkle.  No, it won’t be a duplicate, I suppose.  But the focus of the Democrats’ campaign probably ought to be Trump’s personality.  Their only hope is to have voters focus on their emotions – not their powers of reason.

rjnwmillrjnwmill
        Participant

Cardboard’s loss, CEB’s gain.

Participant

Who are the ex bootboard posters now on cardboard. Curious to see who the anyone but Trump folks from our past are.

cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

We welcome any perspective here, and in fact, cherish them.

Not surprisingly, I was banned from the Cardboard’s Covid forum, for expressing an alternative view. Of course, no reason was ever given to me, and they continue to denied ever banning anyone. Orwell and Rand were right on the money. . . .

That said, for  the first time this evening, I’m watching the Dem Convention. My goodness, it is horribly produced and terribly ineffective. No platform, no ideas, nothing. Only Trump is evil and bad. . . .

When Biden finally comes out of his basement and debates Trump, it will be game set and match.

Amazingly, four years ago, I would have voted for Biden in a heartbeat.

Participant

[quote quote=2123][quote quote=2122]I just want to know what they would have campaigned on if not for covid and George Floyd. Would it have been 100 percent Trump? Trump gets more mentions than any Democrat platform planks.[/quote] Poll numbers I heard yesterday – 59% of dems are not voting for Joe, they are voting against Trump. Beat Trump is the Democratic platform.[/quote]

Along those lines, am I the only one who found it strange that the former President didn’t endorse his VP, he only slammed Trump?  Man, Obama wasn’t a fan of either Biden or Hilary.

rjnwmillrjnwmill
        Participant

Viewership of Biden’s speech on Thursday was 17% below Clinton’s four years ago. The best night of a weak effort.  YouTube has been deleting dislikes from DNC out takes.  Is it YouTube with a thumb on the scale or more dirty tricks by Republicans efforting to cast shade on “the oh so likable Biden.”

Next, how the Orange convention fairs.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.