Colin Powell (84) dies from Covid Complications

Homepage Forums Current Events Board Colin Powell (84) dies from Covid Complications

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

“He was fully vaccinated” according to a statement released by his family.

So am I.

cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

RIP

Great American.

BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
        Participant

[quote quote=5421]“He was fully vaccinated” according to a statement released by his family.[/quote]

He had undergone treatment for multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer that can weaken the immune system.

rjnwmillrjnwmill
          Participant

[quote quote=5424][quote quote=5421]“He was fully vaccinated” according to a statement released by his family.[/quote] He had undergone treatment for multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer that can weaken the immune system.[/quote]

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  When you reach 84, there are fewer good choices?  Remarkable portfolio from a life well lived.

Here's a toast with one last pour, may it last forever and a minute more;
          Good fortune seems to you have sung, to live and love way past long

Participant

Yup.   CP could have gotten it from a friendly exchange with an exempted unvaxed postal worker for all we know.  We live in the information age but unfortunately not the accurate information age.  Flexible realities.  I’d like to think he’d still be alive if not for research on pathogenic enhancement of altering Coronaviridae.

I suspect I’m too old to survive a Mad Max future despite good overall health.

Participant

My father in law (Stanford, ’53 and ’57) is 85, and his aging has been painful to watch.  He was an engineer at NASA (materials science, worked on Mercury and Gemini), worked on Galileo, a number of other large scale projects.  Very funny guy, great with a crowd, superb public speaker, and in fact NASA ended up having him in that role.

Today, my wife goes over everything he writes, because it’s 60% mistakes.  She has two sisters, one who is incapable of fending for herself, much less her parents and the other has two toddlers (kids at age 50, go figure) and sits on Fortune 500 boards.  So it all falls on my wife, to take care of both of her parents.  Really difficult to watch.  They fight the lack of capacity, and don’t believe that their mental acuity has waned, even as the evidence is right in front of them, along with the expected physical changes.

And then there’s COVID.  Sucks getting old.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.