SCOTUS overturning Roe v Wade, allegedly.

Homepage Forums Current Events Board SCOTUS overturning Roe v Wade, allegedly.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant

Apparently the court has decided to overturn Roe v Wade, according to an improperly released copy of a first draft decision written by Alito and published by Politico.

From what I’ve read, first drafts are hardly law, releases of such violate ethical and court precedent, and the release is an apparent attempt to prejudice court opinion and perhaps drum up support for the Dems in the midterms. Also, I didn’t think the court could overturn a prior court decision without a case being brought before the court.

Would appreciate some thoughts from the few attorneys we have visiting here. . ..

LegendLegend
      Keymaster

I don’t know about the legal issues, but I do know an attempt to intimidate a court when I see it.

I hope the leaker is found and prosecuted. It’s a terrifying precedent.

cardcrimsoncardcrimson
      Participant
      After the draft was published, a crowd gathered outside the Supreme Court building Monday evening, as people came together to console one another and question what to do next.
      At one point, the crowd began to chant, “Hey, hey, ho, ho, Samuel Alito’s gotta go.” “We will not go back.” “Abortion rights are under attack, what do we do, stand up fight back.” “Pack the courts.”
      Agree with you that it’s both an attempt to intimidate a court and a terrifying precedent. Not sure which dystopian future we’re headed for, Animal Farm, 1984 or a Brave New World, but it doesn’t look good. . . .
      • This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by cardcrimsoncardcrimson.
      rjnwmillrjnwmill
      Participant

As best as I can tell, this decision changes nothing. It simply suggests that people accountable to voters directly should regulate abortion services not the courts. Makes sense to me.

The talking points in the public square suggest this is political theatre, nothing more.

Our elected representatives are gutless clowns, seeking to avoid responsibility at every opportunity. Do your job.

Here's a toast with one last pour, may it last forever and a minute more;
      Good fortune seems to you have sung, to live and love way past long

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.