Hurlburt88

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Direct democracy #11153
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    I really have never weighed the question of “jury of peers” versus professional judges.  But as long as we do have the jury system, I am definitely glad to see rulings where an individual judge cannot overturn a decision!

    in reply to: Direct democracy #11150
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    I am closer to GR on this.   Electoral college is a protection against the impulse of the moment, and “mob rule” impulses.   There is a part of me that actually would like to see it strengthened.  Yes, not “pure democracy” in any sense I admit.

    in reply to: Could the Republicans win the CA governorship? #11139
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    Unclear to me on if this truly represents a potentially resurgent interest in a Republican governor, or if it is just that there are so many Democrats that they are dividing the poll response?

    in reply to: TSA Lines #11115
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    Houston was a disaster last friday.  I think a lot of variability by specific airport

    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    I think way premature to declare the Democatic race two persons only, both because of the calendar and because–as you astutely point out–both are probably unelectable ultimately.   But maybe because I dislike both so much I am totally blinded, LOL

    in reply to: In celebration of an anachronysm #11059
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    TRuly tragic.

    my nephew is at WEst Point, and they have to pass a water survival test with hands and feet bound.   One of my nephew’s friends is a muscular football player, but in my newphew’s words “sinks like a rock” and failed twice.   So, he ended up taking some time off from football to focus on his swimming skills!

    in reply to: Santa Ynez Reservoir in Pacific Palisades #11054
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    OMG . . . Puerto Rico needs someone for that power job with a track record of clear & logical decisions.  Oh well!

    in reply to: Iran under attack #11040
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    I am most curious about how much damage has been done in Bahrain!

    in reply to: More companies fleeing California #11028
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    a couple of comments.   First, I was just in New Zealand for both work and pleasure.   Last season they left grapes on the vines because global wine consumption is down, and I heard various industry concerns repeatedly.   So the wine issue is not unique to California.

    That said, my company is closing a plant in the LA area and consolidating into 2 campuses in the midwest and east.  LA area was simple the least attractive of the 3, with a huge tip of the hat to regulations.

    in reply to: Democrats ranked most Progressive to most Moderate #11022
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    My sense is that to get the nomination a candidate will need to be quite well-spoken and charismatic.  I hope one of your 11-13 can emerge, personally

    in reply to: California ranked first for the sixth year in a row… #11018
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    I can’t help but see him getting carved up during the nomination process.   he is sharp & clever, but this is just such low-hanging fruit for his opponents . . . or should I say rotten fruit LOL

    in reply to: ICE arrests by the numbers #10993
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    I think 2 issues.  first and maybe foremost is the tactics being used now versus in prior years.  perhaps designed to make a public statement and encourage self-deportation, yet comes with the obvious downsides and debate.  Second is that I believe more are being stopped from entering in the first place, so “target pool” of persons here illegally is lower and dropping.

    in reply to: The End of Postsecondary Education #10964
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    Mohan was my very first Marketing prof!   I walked into the class assuming it was going to be some warm & fuzzy stuff, and left after 110 minutes realizing that this dude with a EE degree was going to drive quantification behind everything.

    Back to the core point, We are in a transformative time for education

    in reply to: Americans trust Republicans… #10957
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    interesting article from The Atlantic, which I believe tends to lean left, on how some of the issues could really play into getting in Gavin N.’s way in 2028

     

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/politics/government/gavin-newsom-s-record-is-a-problem/ar-AA1UJQbG

    in reply to: American dream is dead… #10935
    AvatarHurlburt88
    Participant

    To me, all economic imbalances eventually get corrected.  The deeper the imbalance, the more turbulent the correction in general.   THus, the debt absolutely terrifies me as I struggle to see anything less severe than a Greece-type correction.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 128 total)