BeyondThunderdome

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 277 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Half of Republican men say they don’t want the vaccine. #4502
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    Legend, I don’t think was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t. He was the President of the United States at the time and 74 years old. Nobody — not even the most strident liberal outlet — was going to fault him for line jumping. The guy spent a year trying to have it both ways: he did some things that were helpful and also went out of his way to not alienate his anti-mask, anti-vax base. That’s not leadership. It’s negligence. Leading from behind, as you all used to say about Obama…. Same behavior when the Capital was stormed. He waited hours to finally come out and issue some mealy-mouthed statement (I love you; please go home), while everyone was wondering where the hell he was… Same thing in Helsinki when he said he trusted Putin more than our intelligence leadership that he had appointed. He had to come out the next day and read from a prepared statement claiming that he had mistakenly used the word “would” when he had meant to say “wouldn’t”.

    The fearless leader who supposedly tells it like it is actually won’t tell it like it is when it really counts.

    Not to dwell on Trump, but the Rocky thread reminded me of the dear leader’s “fearless” leadership on COVID that had real consequences with people’s health. Blame Newsome and others too – I don’t care. But don’t pretend Trump was some beacon of light on this subject. He tried to have it both ways for a year and it cost many lives. More forceful communication from the leading Republican surely would have helped more Republicans and conservative news outlets from embracing conspiracies.

    And, yes, I realize there are some Democrats who refuse to be vaccinated. But the disparity versus Republicans is not some statistical noise. It’s a massive difference. It’s a failure of conservative media and Republican leadership.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Imagine if this were news on the Trump Admin #4496
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    I also remember when Trump said Kim wrote him beautiful letters and they fell in love. Such a bizarre four years.

    Meanwhile, it’s been nice not having to hear about Trump’s latest temper tantrum every day. Apparently he’s in talks to launch his own social media company in a few months, though, so the peace and quiet may only be temporary.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Impeachment 2 #4494
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    The Washington Post screwed up by using supposed direct quotes based on memory of someone instead of a summary. So, yes, Trump didn’t say “find the fraud”. But I’ve got a bridge to sell you if you don’t think that’s essentially what he was asking. The guy wasn’t calling just to shoot the breeze.

    The real story still remains that it was wildly inappropriate and possibly illegal for a President to be calling election officials and trying to get them to change votes. There is audio of him calling Raffensperger and asking him to find 11,780 votes.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: USSC rejects campaign case review… #4408
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    It’s hard to take this board seriously. Two Trump appointees are criticized for not simply being loyal subjects when their job is to rule on matters of law. And this is somehow evidence that our country is too woke and descending into liberal madness.

    or something like that. It’s hard to follow the logic here, so forgive me if I’m mischaracterizing.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Please keep Rocky in your thoughts #4262
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    If Rocky is reading this, best wishes and I hope you recover soon.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Governance by Executive Order #4261
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    There seems to be a focus in the number of executive orders in this thread. But if you look at the substance you’ll see that at least half are completely non-partisan and non-controversial. Examples:

    • Requiring mask wearing on Federal property during the pandemic
    • coordinating a government-wide Covid-19 response
    • banning discrimination on the basis of gender identity or sexual orientation
    • mandating ethics pledge for government appointees
    • promoting Covid-19 safety in domestic and international travel
    • expanding access to Covid-19 treatments
    • promoting data-driven response to Covid-19
    • invoked the Defense Production Act to ramp up supplies for the pandemic response
    • establishing the Covid-19 Health Equity Task Force
    • supporting the reopening and continuing operation of schools
    • establishing a Covid-19 pandemic testing board
    • expanding food assistance programs
    • assisting veterans with debt
    • facilitate the distribution of federal aid amid the pandemic
    • facilitating delivery of stimulus payments to expand and improve delivery of direct stimulus payments, including the creation of online tools for recipients to claim their checks
    • order directed all government departments and agencies to “promptly identify actions they can take within existing authorities to address the current economic crisis resulting from the pandemic
    • reinstating Covid-19 travel restrictions
    • promoting ‘Buy American’ agenda
    • order re-establishing presidential council on science and technology

    Maybe EOs aren’t the best way to do some of these things and I’m sure you can nitpick or disagree with a few of them above — and others not listed. But my quick read is that many of them are specific to COVID (presumably temporary) and not some kind of partisan thing. So just going by the numbers is a bit misleading.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Trump still meeting with seditionists #4181
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    Predictable what-aboutism. If you have a defense of Trump feel free to share.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Trump Has To Be Prosecuted For Sedition and Treason #4149
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    [quote quote=4140]if it were a true insurrection and an attempt at a coup, would the infiltrators have been content to take selfies on the dais, in Pelosi’s office, etc.?[/quote]

    I think you’re downplaying what happened. Several people died, including a cop who was bludgeoned to death. Many of these folks framed it as their last chance to “stop the steal” of a lawful democratic election. A mob forced their way into the building. They ransacked offices.  They constructed a noose outside the Capitol building. Crowds were chanting for Mike Pence to be hanged and for Pelosi to be killed, among other outrageous and seditious things.

    They were literally trying to force their way into the chamber at the moment the votes of a national election were being counted. Many hoped their show of force would somehow persuade Republicans or Pence to reject votes (not that he could). Who knows what they would have done if they had somehow caught up with Pence or Pelosi and others. I’m glad we didn’t have to find out.

    Here’s some of the violence:

     

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: The $2000 question. Why did Georgia go blue? #4126
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Trump still attempting his coup #4070
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    Change of topic? I responded to the topic I thought you raised (perhaps I misunderstood; my bad) and then finished the comment by talking about Trump / Georgia — the original topic.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Trump still attempting his coup #4066
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    @cardcrimson — I mentioned in a previous post last week that I didn’t really follow the Russia thing that closely and never commented one way or another on it. I will note, though, that it was initiated by Republicans, investigated by Republicans, and prosecuted by Republicans.

    If you’re talking about the quid pro quo thing (Ukraine) — I am still of the opinion it was an abuse of power. And the fact that Trump was not held accountable is probably one reason why he felt emboldened to call the Secretary of State of Georgia (and who knows who else) to ask them to change the votes — which itself may be illegal and undemocratic at the very least.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Not surprising, but worth noting #4058
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    My first post has two links. Neither have videos.

    I assume you mean the video at the top of a Fox News article I linked in the second post. Those usually have long ads to start and are unrelated to the articles most of the time. I never click on them. I had no idea it was even there, if that’s what you’re talking about. I went to that link to read the article, not sit through an ad and watch a video.

    Anyway, I watched the whole video (the Brian Kemp video, I assume you mean) and am still not clear on your point.

    You might try just making your point rather than leading me on some cryptic wild goose chase. But I tried.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Not surprising, but worth noting #4056
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    I genuinely have no idea which video you want me to view the 1:30 and 3:00 marks.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Not surprising, but worth noting #4052
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    Edit: this was meant to be a reply to rjnwmill.

    I’m not clear on what the AJC has to do with this besides simply reporting the results of the audit. Did they misreport it? If you prefer a different source, here’s a Fox News article about it.

    If they want to examine the ballots in Fulton County, be my guest. I’m sure if they find nothing substantial the goalposts will move again, though.

    As for the rest of your post, it has nothing to do with the topic (a recurring thing). But I’ll answer anyway. There is little accountability when police misuse their power. I don’t post all the stories and videos I see, but there are endless examples. I’m not even sure it’s a controversial topic. I think even conservatives often agree that more accountability is needed. As for Seattle, I said months ago all that crap was insane. I don’t support that either. Neither does Biden, from what I recall of his comments in one of the debates.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

    in reply to: Trump’s lame duck activity #4024
    BeyondThunderdomeBeyondThunderdome
    Participant

    [quote] Hunter Biden is accused of selling access and influence. Why is he relevant? Because he is accused of selling access to, and the influence of… Joe Biden. Not just selling access and influence, but selling access and influence to China, and committing actual interference with the Ukrainian justice system. There is evidence for this, and it was suppressed by the media and Big Tech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Wisconsin_gubernatorial_election[/quote]

     

    Yeah, I’m familiar with the issue. But this is a thread about Trump doing controversial things as a lame duck President. If anyone wants to talk about Hunter Biden be my guest. But the response — at least the part about Hunter Biden — had nothing to do with the topic at hand. It’s a huge stretch even to call it a what-aboutism. It’s just completely off topic and an obvious attempt to deflect, change topics, etc.

    When you understand "the deep state" simply refers to the rule of law, it makes much more sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 277 total)